Experiential learning promotes the discovery of inner strengths and new skills. Through the process of facilitation, the City Kids Program helps youth transfer lessons learned in the wilderness to real life. Youth discover connections between the outdoor challenges and their life back in the city.
The transfer of learning provides the opportunity to:
- Develop positive relationship skills
- Learn techniques for effective problem solving techniques
- Gain insight into how to live a healthy life
- Learn how to collaborate with others
- Improve self-image, self-confidence and self-awareness
Our City Kids receive comfort, support and encouragement from adults and peers, and our youth experience the joy of personal and group success. They have fun in a wholesome, natural environment and youth are encouraged to discover and share metaphoric connections as a way to make the experience more meaningful and relevant.
Experiential learning in the great outdoors combined with discussions of home, school and social situations provide our youth with the tools and skills to successfully deal with to real life situations. Our caring staff creates opportunities for new life experiences otherwise unattainable for these children. At a glance, a casual observer at camp may see children just being children as they play in the outdoors. We see much more. We see children becoming strong, healthy, and happy adults. Our youth will learn and make connections that can last a lifetime.
Our experiential program creates opportunities for significant personal growth. Through programming both in DC and in Wyoming, our staff encourage and support youth as they challenge their personal limits, both emotional and physical. Rather than thinking, “I can’t do it,” our students come to learn that every experience has its successes. The wildernes environment, the challenging and fulfilling activities and our caring staff create a framework for enriching life experiences – experiences that help children reach their true potential.
We offer a wide variety of activities that will provide engaging and rewarding experiences for youth including:
- Horseback Riding
- Hiking & Backpacking in National Parks & Forests including Grand Teton & Yellowstone National Park
- Swimming, Canoeing, Kayaking, White Water Rafting & White Water Kayaking
- Rock Climbing
- Photography, Arts & Crafts
- Environmental Education
- Cultural & Community Events
- Team Building & Peacemaker Skills
- Outdoor Living & Camping Skills
- Journal Writing & Goal Setting
- School Year After School Programs
- Job Experience Training Program
- Service Learning Programming
- Career Exploration
- Internship & Job Support
- College Visits
- Post-Secondary Educational Support