UPDATED MARCH 30th
To Our City Kids Family,
As we begin another week of social distancing, you remain on our minds. This experience has been challenging in so many ways, and we hope you feel connected to City Kids during this time and don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
Given the in-person nature of our work, COVID-19 continues to impact the continuity of our programming, capacity of our staff and projections for revenue. Per CDC guidance, our spring after school activities and weekend adventures have been postponed through May 15th. In the meantime we are…
- Planning for virtual programming to replace our afterschool and weekend programming is underway. We are connecting with our youth and families to learn more about how we can support them and ensure that anything we are sharing virtually isn’t an added burden to an already stressful situation.
- Hosting video check-ins with our JETs are already taking place. This time of year is very important for this age group, 15-18, and most of our efforts are currently focused on career and college preparedness as they prepare to transition out of high school.
- Conducting outreach to CK Alumni to gather vital feedback around how their career/college experiences have been disrupted as a result of COVID-19 and we will be providing support around these challenges.
We will continue to share our youth and families needs, but to start, below are a few ways that you can support the organization:
- Participate in a Virtual “After-School” Session: Let us know if you’d like to share something about your career, a hobby or an outdoor adventure or skill with one of our youth cohorts. We are always looking for individuals that are interested in sharing their “stories” with our youth.
- Share Resources: Please do not hesitate to share technology resources, services or innovative ideas that we might pass along to our participants and families/integrate into our spring virtual programming.
- Make a Donation: Consider contributing the value of your COVID-19 stimulus check to City Kids. This funding will go to support the time and resources needed to pivot our programming and serve our youth during social distancing. As an added bonus of the stimulus package, if you make a $300 donation to City Kids, you get a $300 tax break in addition to the standard deduction.
The City Kids office is also closed until May 15th. Should you need to connect with any CK staff, please find CK staff contact information can be found here or reach out to the following individuals directly:
Deputy Director: Sarah Cryder firstname.lastname@example.org
Administration: Sara Ghebremichael email@example.com
Development and Communications: Katie Guerin firstname.lastname@example.org
In closing, I wanted to share a quote that a colleague shared with our team last week:
“In this time of uncertainty and isolation, the most powerful thing that we can do for our youth and families is to demonstrate that when this is over, City Kids will be there for them.”
This concept is driving our work now and motivating us to prepare for a time when we can all be together again in the outdoors. Because we will.
Thanks for having our backs!
Eloise Russo, Executive Director